by Devora Krasnianski, founder of Adai Ad Institute
The way to really get to know someone is getting into deeper and richer conversations. Deeper conversations are more than the shallow “How was your day at work today?”; they delve into “What made you go into that field of work? What do you enjoy about it? If it were up to you, what changes might you make; what prompts you to want to make those changes?”
In this way, you can really get to know her – her interests, her ideas, her passions, her peeves.
Here are some conversation starters you might ask to get to know the other person more deeply. And at the same time, these are the types of things you ought to share about yourself.
- What made you go into that field?
- What about your work is so exciting to you?
- How did you get into that hobby? How were you first introduced to it?
- How do you feel about that?
- What are your thoughts around that?
- What do you wish was different about that? How might you improve it?
- What is the back story? How did you get to the point you are at now?
The more you share in this way, most likely the person you are dating will also feel comfortable to share.